On my recent trip to Alaska and Canada, one color drenched thing that really caught my eye was a gemstone called Ammolite. Without a doubt, I had never seen such a beautiful stone, such bright rainbow colors in one stone. It resembled an Opal, but much more color intensified. I have found some fun facts about this beautiful stone and the reason why it is so expensive.
1) It is one on only three organic gemstones (Ammolite, Pearl, and Amber).
2) Ammolite is a very soft gemstone, only 4.5-5 on the Mohs Scale.
3) It is arguably the rarest gemstone on earth, rivaling the rarity of such gemstones as alexandrite and red diamonds.
4) The gemstone is found primarily along the eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains of the United States and Canada.
5) The price of this gemstone is rapidly rising (between 2000 and 2005 it averaged about a 40% increase per year) and its limited quantities make this gem a great investment.
6) Feng Shui followers believe Ammolite has the power to detoxify the body and improve overall well being by improving the body’s flow if energy.
7) Ammolite is sold in four grades according to its color and brilliance.
AA - exhibits three or more brilliant sharp colors.
A+ - a stone that displays two or three bright colors.
A - exhibits two or more play of colors.
Standard - exhibits one or more distinct colors